Went out on a limb and made my own pizza tonight – from scratch! I typically grab the @traderjoes handy dandy pre-made dough but tonight I said WHY THE HECK NOT and did the dang thing myself. To top it off – decided to make it a deep dish! This pizza is so delicious and also very versatile. you can pile it high with whatever you like – it just so happened that I love a ton of veggies, @morningstarfarms crumbles & my homemade cream sauce. Here’s how:
SUPREME DEEP DISH PIZZA ?Course: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: American
Deep dish does the trick! Pile it high with whatever you desire – no cheese needed!
3 cups flour
1 packet active dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 cup warm water
- Pizza Toppings: 1 1/2 to 2 cups any veggies you would like I used
I handful of spinach (chopped)
4 – 5 artichoke
2 garlic cloves (chopped)
1/4 white onion
1/2 small green bell pepper
6 cherry tomatoes
1 large handful of vegan crumbles ( I used @morningstar)
1/2 – 3/4 cup pizza sauce (I made my own – you can find that detail in the note section)
- Pour warm water in a bowl and lay yeast on top – let sit for five minutes
- Combine oil, salt and sugar and add to the yeast mixture
- Slowly add in flour until it becomes a ball – kneading as you go
- Place 1 tsp of oil in a bowl, add dough and let rest in a warm place for 45 – 1 hour so it can rise
- Pizza Filling
- Create pizza sauce if needed by combining tomato sauce and seasonings ( Check Notes)
- Chop all desired veggies thinly
- Once the dough is ready, knead into a ball on a lightly floured surface
- Roll into a 1/2 inch thickness. Meanwhile, lightly oil your skillet and season with oregano, basil & garlic powder.
- Placed rolled dough over your oven-safe skillet
- Start by adding your tomato sauce and spreading evenly and add desired toppings
- Roll down the dough at the edge of the skillet and braid down, tucking as you go.
- Brush the crust with some oil and season the pie with some salt, red chili flakes, basil & oregano
- Bake for 20 – 30 mins
- Enjoy and top with sauce!
- I created my own using a canned tomato sauce and the seasonings listed: 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp basil, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp red chili flakes, 1/2 garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder1/2 tsp basil