Deliciously Simple Garlic and Herb Butter Gnocchi
Hello, Vegan Lovas! Would you be blown away if I told you that gnocchi is made with three simple ingredients and formed in five steps? I swear gnocchi is one of those items that I thought would be impossible to make at home! If I would have known how cheap, seemingly easy, and delicious homemade gnocchi was I would have ditched Trader Joes cauliflower gnocchi ages ago! No shade to Traders – but who doesn’t love pillowy gnocchi made from our own loveable hands? Trust me, you’ll cherish each and every gnocchi pillow more when you realize the love you put into spiraling each and every one. That reminds me, this is a project Vegan Lovas – it is made with simple ingredients but to get that signature “gnocchi” look – it takes time! But the best part is once it’s done – you will be so proud that something that seemed so hard you tackled head-on. My last note, you can make gnocchi with any potato! Within my example, I used golden potatoes ( my personal favorite at the moment) but feel free to sweet potato, russet, or whatever you have laying around the house.
Now that the technicalities are semi out the way – I think its time for me to rave about this butter garlic sauce. When I tell you guys – nothing beats fresh herbs and butter! Your whole house will smell delicious and it will symbolize a job well done.
So enough of my gabbing, I’m here to show you how to make easy gnocchi and have fun along the way! Here’s how!
Important Notes: One cup of potato equates to one cup of flour and 1 tsp salt! Keep that in mind as you play with proportions.
Delicious Simple Garlic and Herb Butter GnocchiCourse: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: Italian
This takes work but its sooooo delicious. So simple, yet challenging and fun at the same time! The garlic and herb sauce kicks this puppy up the the next notch! Dig in!
5-7 medium sized golden potatoes (1lb of potatoes)
3 cups of flour
3 tsp salt
- Garlic and Herb Butter Sauce
2 tbsp vegan butter
1-2 tbsp olive oil
2-3 garlic cloves
1/4th white onion or 1/2 fresh shallot
1 tsp fresh thyme
1 tsp fresh rosemary
1 tsp fresh basil
pinch of salt
pinch of red chili flake
- Begin by boiling 5-7 golden potatoes in water with a pinch of salt and boil until tender. Completely drain your potatoes and allow them to cool completely (super important!)
- Take all the skin off of your potatoes and begin to mash until completely smooth. Measuring out 1 cup of potatoes per 1 cup of flour and 1 tsp salt – add potatoes, flour and salt into a large bowl and mix into a crumbly texture (don’t be scared it comes together)
- Dump the crumbles on a clean floured surface and begin to knead gently for 5-10 minutes – don”t overwork remember gnocchi is delicate! – and form a dough. Cut it into four large chunks.
- Roll each chunk of dough on a clean floured surface into a one-inch log. Dice each log into tiny pillows and begin to gently roll each pillow on the back of a floured fork to create the classic gnocchi design.
- Boil the gnocchi in a large pot of water. Once 2/3rds of the gnocchi float to the top of the water they are done. Eat as is, or cook as desired.
- Garlic Herb Butter Sauce
- Begin by heating up your caste iron skillet to a medium heat and adding your butter and oil
- Add in your salt to season the pan and add in your garlic, onion and herbs.
- Cook until fragrant and garlic gets toasty ( this is going to smell so good!) about 3-5 minutes
- Add in your gnocchi 1 cup at a time and base in the sauce. Cook until you get your desired crisping on the gnocchi. I cooked mine for about 10 minutes with little tampering.
- Enjoy vegan lovas!
- You can freeze gnocchi and store until you want to cook them! To freeze – place gnocchi on a large floured sheet pan ( make sure they aren’t touching) and freeze for 30 minutes – 1 hour. Once frozen add them to an airtight baggy and store.