BEST-EVER VEGAN LEMON ROLLS!
Today was a bit of a gloomy day over at the blkandvegan residence, so that clearly means its time to bake something that can make your whole home smell wonderful! There is no better smell than lemon, sugar, and butter to brighten up anyone’s day! So introducing the Best Ever Vegan Lemon Rolls made with lemon 3 ways to create a deep lemon flavor that you will want to come back to time and time again ( trust me it was so hard to take photos of these without wanting to take a bite!). Also, I typically use vanilla almond milk, but today went for the oat milk and I have to say – I feel like I got a richer ( yet still fluffy) roll! Take that information on how you will, any vegan milk will work and taste delicious!
Ok enough of me gabbing, its time to get into it once and for all! Details below. Dig in Vegan Lovas! If you are looking for a lemon roll with some berry infusion – try my Lemon Ras Rolls!
BEST EVER VEGAN LEMON ROLLS!Course: Breakfast, DessertCuisine: Vegan, American
Lemon deliciousness coming your way!
4 1/2 cups flour ( plus more for working dough)
1 tsp salt
2 cups vegan milk – warm
1/2 cup melted vegan butter – warm
1/4th cup sugar
1 tbsp lemon extract
1 tsp yellow food coloring
1 packet active dry yeast
Zest of 1 whole lemon
3/4th cups vegan butter
3/4th cups white sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon extract
2 tbsp of filling
2 cups powdered sugar
Water to taste
- In a large boil, whisk almond milk, melted butter, lemon extract, food coloring and sugar. Make sure your ingredients aren’t too hot – but just warm! Around 110 degrees (I suggest microwaving your butter and vegan milk together)
- Sprinkle yeast evenly over mixture and whisk – let sit for 5 mins or less (while yeast gets frothy)
- Slowly add 4 1/2 cups flour and salt to the butter mixture & mix with a wooden spoon until combined
- On a clean surface with flour knead your dough until you create a ball and place your ball into a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a towel and place in the oven on warm for 1 hour
- Next, take your dough out of your bowl ( should be doubled in size) and knead on a clean floured surface into a rectangle – roll your rectangle out into a 1/2 inch thickness
- Combine all your filling ingredients and add an even layer to your dough saving 2 tbsp for the icing.
- Roll at the base of the dough ( tightly but gently) until you get a giant log – trim off uneven tips!
- Begin to slice your log into 1 inch rolls and set on a oiled cake tin
- Once again, cover your cake-tins with a towel and set them in the oven on warm for 30 minutes for their final poof!
- Now its time to bake! Set your oven to 350 and set your perfect rolls in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes and voila!
- To make the icing, combine all ingredients ( including your saved 2 tbsp of filling from earlier) and pour on-top of your rolls fresh out of the oven!
- To make sure your yeast is active – make sure its frothy before adding to the wet mixture